It was one of the sweetest, most honest statements anyone has said to me in a long time.
This beautiful young mom shared her heart when she told me:
“I’m just not very good at praying.
I don’t really know how.”
I don’t know too many believers who feel really GREAT about their prayer lives.
It’s that thing that we all want to do more OF but never seem to get TO.
It’s that discipline that we so desire to have in our lives; however, most of us have really wimpy prayer lives.
Yet, scripture tells us to, “Pray without ceasing.” (1 Thessalonians 5:17, NKJV)
The New Living Translation of this verse suggests that we, “Never stop praying.”
~ Is this possible?
~ Can we really learn to pray as a regular part of our day?
We can learn to pray!
And, it doesn’t have to be complicated!
As a child, I was taught that all prayer involved a bowed head, a quiet posture, closed eyes, and folded hands.
As an adult, I’m so thankful that we can pray in any place, position, posture, or situation.
There is NO limitation on prayer – except not doing it!
Ready to try praying more?
Here are 10 Surprisingly Simple Ways to Add Prayer to Your Day:
One – Say “Good Morning” to the Lord.
- Acknowledge Him as you begin your day.
- Look toward heaven and speak to Him.
- Spend a few moments at the first of your day in the Word.
- Talk to Him as you are getting dressed, driving carpool, or driving to work.
* To look to heaven and acknowledge Him each morning is PRAYING!
Two – Share your needs as they arise.
- Make your needs known to the Lord throughout the day.
- As needs arise, pray.
- As you need wisdom, ask for it.
- As you think about problems, present them to God and ask for His help.
- As you worry about one of your kids or grandkids, pray!
- Talk things over with Him just like you’d talk to a friend.
* To talk about your cares, problems, and worries with the Lord is PRAYING!
Three – Thank Him all day long.
- How has He been sweet to you?
- What has He done for you?
- What are 10 things you could stop and thank Him for right now?
- You can thank Him for the sunshine, rain, life, breath, a car to drive, a place to live, food to eat, friends, a job, children, grandchildren, and so much more.
- You can thank Him as you are driving down the street.
* To thank the Lord for His goodness and kindness is PRAYING!
Four – Offer sincere praise to Him for His character.
- Take time to consider how awesome He is.
- Go through the alphabet and thank Him for one of His traits that starts with each letter. A-Awesome, B-Bountiful, C-Compassionate.
- Look around you and praise God for His creation.
- Thank Him for gorgeous sunny days or beautiful flowers or refreshing rain.
* To sincerely praise God is PRAYING!
Five – Repent as the Spirit convicts you.
- Agree with God as He puts some sin on your heart.
- Keep short accounts with Him.
- Ask for His help to make things right with others as needed.
- Check in with Him often and ask Him if there is anything you need to confess.
- Think of it as keeping things right and reconciled.
* To admit our sin to God and to make things right is PRAYING!
Six – Make appeals to the Lord.
- Just as a lawyer would appeal to a judge, you can appeal to God.
- Discuss your concerns and frustrations with Him.
- Talk things over with Him just as you would talk to a close friend.
- Express your deepest hurts, needs, desires, passions, and wishes to the Lord. Share your heart with Him.
* To pour out our hearts to God and to appeal to Him is PRAYING!
Philippians 4:6 encourages us to, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;”
Seven – Think about Him.
- Silently direct your thoughts to Him during the day.
- Lift your eyes to heaven and focus on Him for a few seconds.
- Think about how much to love Him.
* To think or contemplate about the Lord and to focus on how much we love Him is PRAYING!
Eight – Sing to Him.
- Raise your voice and sing.
- Turn up the praise music and sing along.
- Singing is a form of prayer!
- If you can’t sing, hum the tune and think about the words!
- Or, just listen to the words of a wonderful hymn or inspirational song.
* To sing or hum words of praise to the Lord is PRAYING!
Nine – Listen for His voice.
- Tune your ears to listen for His voice.
- Allow Him to speak to you through a friend, the Bible, a sermon, music, and even a beautiful sunset.
In John 10:27-28, Jesus teaches, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.”
* To tune in and listen for the Lord is PRAYER!
Ten – Say “Good Night” to the Father.
- Close out your day with Him.
- Go to sleep thinking about Him and talking to Him.
* To whisper “Good Night” to the Lord is PRAYER!
Mix these up.
Use them as needed and in any order.
It doesn’t have to be fancy, it just has to be attempted!
To assist you as you add more prayer to your day, I’ve created a FREE Printable for you to print out and use.
Just right click, save, and print.
One of my favorite quotes on prayer is this one:
“Prayer is a little like eating salted peanuts; the more you do it, the more you want to do it.”
(14,000 Quips and Quotes)
So, which of the ways will you try first?
I encourage you to pick 1-2 of these suggestions and start praying more today.
- And, how do you add prayer to your day?
- What are some ways you like to pray?
I always enjoy hearing from you!
Want more good stuff on prayer??
Fervent: A Woman’s Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer by Priscilla Shirer
Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God by Timothy Keller
Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul by Jennie Allen
Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge by Marc Batterson
A Woman’s Garden of Prayer by Sarah Maddox and Patti Webb
Live a Praying Life: Open Your Life to God’s Power and Provision by Jennifer Kennedy Dean
**And, would you do me a favor — if this article has encouraged you today — would you share it with someone else?
Maybe you can send it to a friend or family member?
~ This blog occasionally uses affiliate links and may contain affiliate links. Melanie Redd is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. For more on my disclosure policy, click HERE.
~ I regularly link to these AMAZING SITES~
© Melanie Redd and Ministry of Hope, 2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Melanie Redd and Ministry of Hope with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.